Garblog's Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cut the fluff and duck the cliches as our language drifts away from plain speaking into mindless nonsense | Sue Wighton, The Courier-Mail

To be honest, I'm working toward doing more original writing in this blog--not just linking to, summarizing and commenting on other articles, blogs or websites I visit and read.

But even as I'm doing that, I'm sure I'll come across the writing of other folks who make their points so well or provide such useful advice and information that I must share them. 


This commentary by an Australian freelance writer is one amusing but pointed example. The caption for the photo at the top of the page gives a clue to Hamilton's point of view:
A flood is a flood so why do we have to call it a weather event?
I make similar advice in Garbl's Editorial Style and Usage Manual:

  • storm event Wordy. Redundant. Simplify. Drop event.
  • weather conditions It'll be pleasant, hot, stormy or pouring buckets whether called weather or weather conditions. Simplify. Drop conditions or try climate.
Here are two other sites of mine that give advice on clear, concise writing:
_______
Hamilton's article is featured today in my daily online paper, Garbl's Plain English Paragraphs, available at the Plain Language tab above and by free email subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...