Garblog's Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Garbl's Writing Resources Online--grammar, concise writing, writing process, style, word usage, plain language, word play, creativity

Update, Feb. 3, 2022: I deactivated Garbl's Writing Resources Online in April 2019 because I was no longer updating its links and adding new links. Also, I updated the links below to Garbl's active writing websites on Feb. 3, 2022, to connect to their new location on the internet. They're both at Garbl's Writing Center.]
___________

When writing in my blog about other articles, blog items, and websites, I occasionally mention a couple of my Web resources: Garbl's Editorial Style and Usage Manual and Garbl's Plain Language Writing Guide. But I don't often mention this site: Garbl's Writing Resources Online.

It may be just the site some people need. As its name suggests, it's an annotated directory of websites that provide free advice and information about various topics of writing: English grammar, concise writing, word play, the writing process, style and usage, words, plain language, action writing, creativity, and reference sources. You'll also find lists of websites there on punctuation, overcoming writer's block, avoiding bias, spelling and vocabulary, and writing for the Web.


I launched my writing resources site in 1997--in a much smaller form (one page!) —partially to learn website design and management. I used early website design software to create it, but I also learned how to use HTML for updating its content and look. ...


I can't endorse all the standards, guidelines and links on websites listed in my writing resources site. But I hope you can find sites there that are useful, interesting and even fun.

I haven't added many links to the site in recent years, though I try to update existing links (or delete them) when other sites have changed their Web address (or disappeared). 
You're welcome to contact me if you find a dead link. 

Although I might not respond, you're also welcome to recommend a website that could fit in one of the writing resources categories. It should provide a substantial amount of free, useful information and advice about writing. I will determine if the site meets my standards. No compensation or reciprocal link is required, though I appreciate links to my sites.

Also, whatever their acclaim and position, all writers need editors. I don't have one for my websites, so if you spot a typo, unclear message, or possible error, please tell me.

Except for selected books on the Writing Bookshelf and ... on the Plain Language page, my website listings do not signify endorsements of fee-based services, products, or programs. ...

4 comments:

  1. why do you do this if no one reads this

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Anonymous, your statement is incorrect. People do read my blog, and the number of pageviews has grown since I began the blog last year. The blog data show that people continue to read my posts from months ago.

    Second, I write this blog for three main reasons: (1) Because of reading I do to write most blog items, I enhance my understanding of a longtime pursuit of mine--quality communication, especially writing. (2) I get to share with readers some of what I learn or know and my related advice. My hope is that blog readers will find value in at least some of my posts. (3) With each blog post, I provide an opportunity for interacting with readers about the topics I write about. I'm still working on that one!

    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting a "404 not found" message for all of your websites. Are they no longer available?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, unfortunately. For now.

    Two almost-simultaneous changes ended my website. First, I moved out of the service area of my Internet service provider (which hosted the site). Second, that ISP (Comcast) decided to terminate its website hosting service.

    Fortunately, my new ISP in Port Townsend does host customer websites. And as soon as I get settled here (it's been only two months), I plan to relaunch parts of Garbl's Writing Center.

    Thank you for your support!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...