Garblog's Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

7 Common Problems Solved by Owning Less | Joshua Becker, Becoming Minimalist

Summarized below are seven common problems that blogger Becker and his family solved by selling, donating or discarding more than 70 percent of their possessions. Those things included books, clothes, cookware, decorations, furniture, tools and toys.

(These type of suggestions are becoming more and more important to my wife and me as we downsize and prepare for retirement. Fortunately, we followed some of these ideas even when our two sons lived at home.)
1. “I don’t have enough money / I’m in debt.” ... Purposefully deciding to own fewer possessions is an important step in getting your financial house in order ...
2. “There’s just not enough time in the day.” ... Just think about all the time we waste caring for our possessions: shopping, researching, organizing, picking up, cleaning, repairing, replacing – even earning the money to buy them in the first place. ...
3. “There’s always so much cleaning to do / Even after I clean, my house feels cluttered.”  ... Own less stuff. It works every time.
4. “My house is too small / There’s never enough storage around here.” Chances are pretty good that your house isn’t too small – you’ve just put too much stuff inside it. ...
5. “I’m too stressed.” ... Every increased possession weighs down our lives with new things to worry about, care for, and maintain. ...
6. “I can’t decide what to wear / It’s so hard to keep up with the changing fashions.” ... [C]arry a beautiful wardrobe filled with a few timeless pieces that you truly love to wear. ..."
7. “I wish I had…” ... [T]his constant dreaming, hoping, and envying other’s possessions is stealing from our joy and contentment today. ...
__________
This article is featured in my daily online paper for today (Aug. 5), Garbl's Simple Dreams -- also available by free email subscription. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...