Garblog's Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Skim (don’t read) these tips for writing for the web | David Williams, BrownBoots Interactive, Inc.

Finally! Here's an article about writing for the Web that practices what it preaches. I get Google Alerts daily with headlined articles on this topic. If I think an article provides useful advice, I may mention or summarize it in this blog.

But I have stopped highlighting any article -- no matter the quality of its advice -- if it is just a lengthy piece of gray matter. That is, if an article has long sentences or paragraphs with no subheads, bullets, graphics or emphasized words, I do not want to waste my time or yours mentioning it here. Even if the advice is useful, I question the competence of its writer. I wonder if the writer simply copied the advice from somewhere else. 

But this blog is different. It is easy to read, provides useful advice and even has its tongue in its cheek. A fun, informative read! Thank you, blogger David Williams.

Consider its first two paragraphs -- and then read the rest at the blog:
The chances are you won’t read the next sentence or two, especially if I make this a sentence so long that it extends several lines and forms a large text block (formerly called a paragraph), which will inevitably intimidate your eye due to the implied number of words and, therefore, the time commitment needed to read and understand them. So I suppose there’s really no reason to put anything pertinent in this spot. Nope, nothing to see here.
But a succinct sentence is more likely to get your attention.
------------

For more free advice that's useful for writing on the Web and in print, check Garbl's Plain English Writing Guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...