Garblog's Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Serendipity and Science: 30 Minutes with Dr. Sharon Long | Scientific American

Long responds to a question about her research:
Many other things in my career path have been serendipitous: What I majored in as an undergrad, my graduate school and my graduate advisor were all partly due to chance. But this symbiosis system was a very careful choice. I made sure that this was really what I wanted to do and I’m so glad I did. I was in love with it– I still am– and it continues to be fun.
Long responds to a question about young people (scientists) just beginning their careers:
Always think about the important questions. Not just what you are curious about, and not just what is possible, but what is truly important. What answer would change the way other people do their work? You can’t know in advance what is going to be a great result but you can know what is a great question. If you work to understand a central issue about whatever it is you are studying you will make an impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...