Garblog's Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Naked verbs mean plainer prose | Michelle Black, SimplyRead

I highly recommend this article! Black writes: 
If you want to give your documents a leg up in being clear, I suggest you strip your nouns – have ‘em let it all hang out. You’ll shake off a lot of clutter that weighs down your sentences, throws a ball and chain ’round the neck of your paragraphs.
What do I mean by ‘clutter’? I mean all the suffixes that get added to verbs, such as -ment, -ation (or -ization); and I mean verbs that have evolved into nouns over time.
For more online resources about concise writing and plain language, check out these free websites of mine:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...