Garblog's Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Love drives away shadows of pain | Kent Bush, Norwich, CT - The Bulletin

Wow! When I started reading this article, I thought it was going to tell a story about learning vocabulary. I especially liked the third paragraph below:
Sometimes what you don’t know can hurt you.
Our new son’s vocabulary and ability to express himself is growing every day. But he can’t always express his emotion.
In that way he is like a tornado in the dark, you know some bad things may be happening in there but you have no idea how big or how bad until some light is shone on the situation.
We wonder how many of the things we say he really understands. We figured out recently that pronouns are tough for him because when I say I, I mean me and when you say I, you mean you. But we both say I.
Do you see how that could confuse a 4-year-old who is trying to learn his third language?
But the story continues, revealing more information about the child's experiences that I won't reveal here. It ends, though, noting other lessons for the child, for his father and, perhaps, for us:
Dawit can’t always express his thoughts and feelings, yet.
But I know when he went to sleep that night, the light of knowing he belonged to a family shone on his dark thoughts and drove away the shadows of pain that still haunt him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on my blog post--or ask me a question about writing!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...